Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Robocode: Round 2

I never mentioned how I did on Round 1. I didn't do as badly as I thought I might, I believe bugs in my code was my downfall. I made it into the quarter finals.

Round 2 of our competition at work didn't have as much participation. There were only 5 'bots submitted this time. This go 'round, I dominated. I maintained my way-point movement system and focused on my radar control. I improved my aiming by adding a rudimentary linear predictive targeting system.

The RoboLeague platform was used to run a bunch of one on one battles for the participating robots. This method takes a lot less time than doing it by hand and having the computer render the bots movements on the screen. Once you've set up the league participants you push a button and then wait for the computer to run through its calculations and spit out the results.

For my troubles I was awarded a half pound of the most expensive coffee from Starbucks.

I've also posted my bot at an online robot repository: http://robocoderepository.com/
. There is an online Roborumble competition that I've entered. You can see my ranking details here and the general rankings here. I made it up to spot 407 with the 0.0.1 version of my bot. I just uploaded version 0.0.2, it will be a while before it gets anywhere.

The Roborumble works in the following manner: People run an application on their machines that downloads robots from the robot repository and pits them against one another then it uploads the results which are used to create the ranking details.

I think we'll be having another competition in the first quarter of next year. I'm hoping to defend my title. We'll see.

No comments: